Read the press release
Designer Challenge: We want your one-ball patterns!
Exciting news – it’s time for a new Knit Now designer challenge! The Designer Challenge feature focuses on Caron Simply Soft yarns, a lovely versatile yarn in a fabulous array of colours!
The idea is simple: Just tell us what you would do with these yarns, we’ll pick 3 ideas for each and send you the yarn out to you. We will pay £70 for each accepted pattern, plus you will be featured in our magazine!
The deadline for design ideas is 9am GMT on Monday 15th November (yes, that’s just one week away – that’s what makes it a challenge!). For each idea, please send a PDF including a sketch and brief description of your idea. If you can include a swatch – even better (it doesn’t have to be in these particular yarns, just something that will convey your idea). A decision will be made by the end of the day on Monday, yarn will be requested for you straight away and the deadline for final patterns and samples will be 21st December 2021. This challenge is open to designers all over the world (but please remember to factor in postage times as the deadline is quite firm).
The yarn – what would you do with this?
Caron Simply Soft; Aran; 170g per 288m, 100% acrylic.
We’re looking for 3 projects:
- one in Lemonade (yellow)
- one in Robin’s Egg (pale turquoise)
- one in Lemonade and Robin’s Egg!
These are the kind of things we’re looking for…
- Designs featuring simple textured stitch patterns (single colour) or simple colourwork (two-colour)
- Seasonal accessory designs
- Quick and simple ideas for beginner/intermediate knitters
- Gifts for all the family (including babies!)
- Clever patterns which can be expressed concisely (500 words or 1 side of A4 is ideal)
- There’s a flat fee of £70 for these patterns – please take this into account when planning your idea.
- We’ve got limited page space for these designs, so patterns which can be written concisely are always a bonus – please include an estimated chart size and page count if you can.
- Designs will be commissioned pretty much straight away, and your deadline for pattern and sample to be back with us will be 21st December 2021.
- You can suggest designs you’ve submitted previously if you think they’d work in one of these yarns.
- A swatch is not completely necessary for this, but a sketch is.
- You can send me as many ideas as you like – we’ll be looking to choose three quite different designs in each, to show the versatility of the yarns.
- Please create separate PDF files for each idea and save each one as as YarnName_YourName_PatternName_KNDC141.pdf. For example, CC_JennySmith_Babygro_KNDC141.pdf
- Send your ideas to email@example.com – if sending multiple ideas, you can include them all in one email, but separate PDFs for each idea please.
Can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Editor, Knit Now