Knit now (magazine) presents a design challenge/call for submission for UK only knitting designer.
Read the press release below.
It’s time again for the Knit Now designer challenge! Just tell us what you would do with these yarns, we’ll pick 3 ideas for each and send you the yarn out to you.
The deadline for ideas is Midday GMT on Monday 9th January (yes, that’s just next Monday – that’s what makes it a challenge!). We will pay £70 for each accepted pattern. For each idea, please send a PDF including a sketch and brief description of your idea. If you can include a swatch – even better (it doesn’t have to be in these particular yarns, just something that will convey your idea).
A decision will be made by the end of the day on Wednesday, yarn will be sent out straight away and the deadline for final patterns and samples will be Wednesday 1st February 2016.
Unfortunately due to the tight turn-around this time, this is only open to designers in the UK, but my main call will be going out in a couple of weeks, which will be open to everyone.
I’m more than happy for you to resubmit ideas to this call which have previously been submitted to another call, so long as they can be knitted from 100g of the given yarns.
The yarn – what would you do with this?
- Challenge 1, April: Nurturing Fibres Supertwist DK. 2 x 50g skeins.
- Challenge 2, May: Rowan Creative Linen. 1 x 100g skein.
- Challenge 3, June: Paintbox Cotton DK. 2 x 50g balls.
These are the kind of things we’re looking for…
- Designs featuring textured stitch patterns & cables
- Seasonal patterns for beginner/intermediate knitters
- Fashionable finishing touches
- Adorable baby makes and toys
- Little knitted staples – hats, mitts, scarves etc.
- Simple knits for beginners
- Clever patterns which can be expressed concisely (500 words or 1 side of A4 is ideal)
- Have a look at my knitting pinboard for things which are catching my eye
- There’s a flat fee of £70 for these patterns – please take this into account when planning your idea.
- Sorry – UK designers only this time round due to time constraints.
- We’ve got limited page space for these designs, so patterns which can be written concisely are always a bonus – please include an estimated chart size and page count if you can.
- Designs will be commissioned pretty much straight away, and your deadline for pattern and sample to be back with us will be 01/02/17.
- You can suggest designs you’ve submitted previously if you think they’d work in one of these yarns.
- A swatch is not completely necessary for this, but a sketch is.
- You can send me as many ideas as you like – we’ll be looking to choose three quite different designs in each, to show the versatility of the yarns.
- Please create separate PDF files for each idea and save each one as as YarnName_YourName_PatternName_KNDC7274.pdf – the YarnName should be NF (Nurturing Fibres), RL (Rowan Creative Linen) or PC (Paintbox Cotton DK). For example, NF_JennySmith_PointyHat_KNDC6971.pdf
- Send your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org – if sending multiple ideas, you can include them all in one email.