From Crafters Inventory’s book section, we are delighted to feature on Day 14, a book titled Games Design Deep Dive Platformers by Joshua Bycer.
About the book
The Game Design Deep Dive series examines specific game systems or mechanics over the course of the history of the industry. This book examines the history of jumping – one of the oldest mechanics in the industry – and how it has evolved and changed over the years. The author looks at the transition from 2D to 3D and multiple elements that make jumping more complicated than it looks from a design perspective.
Key Selling Points:
- The first in a series of books that focus entirely on a singular game design system or mechanic, in this case: jumping.
- A perfect read for anyone interested in understanding game design, or just curious from a historical standpoint.
- A must-read for anyone interested in building their own platformer or just interested in the history of the game industry’s most famous game mechanic.
- This book is a perfect companion for someone building their first game or as part of a game design classroom.
- Includes real game examples to highlight the discussed topics and mechanics.
Joshua Bycer is a Game Design Critic with more than seven years of experience critically analyzing game design and the industry itself. In that time, through Game-Wisdom, he has interviewed hundreds of game developers and members of the industry about what it means to design video games. He also strives to raise awareness about the importance of studying game design by giving lectures and presentations; his first book was titled 20 Essential Games to Study.